War against Slugs & Snails

>> Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother ! Out of 15 plants, only 10 tomato plants are still with their heads. The peas that were sprouting have also been eaten.  That is it! War is now declared on slugs and snails. Watch out you creeps !!

On Saturday 15/10/2011, I planted about 15 heritage tomatoes that my friend Elaine have given me. To me the heritage tomatoes are precious as I have only ever planted ordinary tomatoes. I placed the plastic pipe over the plant to give it some wind and snail protection. Or so I thought !!



Heritage tomato plant.



The next day, a couple were beheaded. Checked this morning and 5 were gone ! I hereby declare war on slugs and snails. Even though it was going to rain, I had to scatter some snail pellets around to hopefully save the remaining plants from being eaten alive.

4 comments:

Anonymous October 19, 2011 7:13 am  

hello Sinner,

Try with Safer’s Slug and Snail Killer. Hope you can find this brand in NZ. I had this problem before and since I use this product, my veggies is growing well all summer, with a few bits of course.

P.S. Even if you place the plastic pipe over your tomatoes plant, the snail/slug still able to eat it. They go everywhere & pass over any obstacle! Maybe you can try by placing a lip/cover over the pipe at night & remove during the day.

Good luck!

Jamie

Sinner October 20, 2011 7:54 am  

Hi Jamie,

We don't have the Safer's brand but have been using what is available here but it had been constantly raining so not as effective. I heard Diatomaceous Earth is quite good in the battle of the slugs etc so will get some. Appears to be a safer option too if I buy the food grade version.

The pipe was a good idea to protect the plant against the wind but the slugs were climbing over it bypassing the slug pellets. Lost another plant but weather forecast for the next few days seems to be good so have uncovered the plants. Hope they survive the cold wind.

Shereen December 12, 2011 7:45 pm  

Hey Sinner,
You should come and visit us to see what Simon has come out with to battle the slugs,snails(are they the same creature?..lol,catterpillars,aphids and what not.He make a tent using mosquito net that he got from inorganicing.Not as single bug and creature to be had and our veges this year are super healthy!

Sinner December 12, 2011 9:24 pm  

Shereen, I just can't imagine Simon going 'inorganicing'. lol Pity we don't have any inorganic collection in our area anymore. I really like Simon's invention.

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP