Asparagus Crowns

>> Sunday, January 29, 2012

I have been looking out for asparagus crowns for years. Then I happen on these dryish looking thick 'roots' bundled together. They were on special as it was out of season. I bought 7 packets, 35 crowns in total. On opening some of the packets, some were pathetic looking and skinny.  Thank goodness I didn't pay full price for them

If these crowns grows, then I expect to harvest my own asparagus in the year 2014.

5 crown per bundle. Looked a bit dry but as this was the first time I have seen crowns on sale, I took the chance.


Variety was Mary Washington.  They were heavily discounted.



Planted on 4/1/2012. I had to plant them temporarily in containers as their 'bed' was not ready.  4 crowns in each of these oil containers.



One crown each per pot.  About 19 pots in total.



19/1/2012. Woohoo....the first asparagus shoot appears. I was estatic. Since then about 10 shoots have appeared from the other crowns.

2 comments:

Shereen February 06, 2012 9:33 pm  

I've got no idea that 'crowns' are supposed to look like dried up sticks!I would not part even ten cents for those..hahaha ( the idiot's talking! )Hmmmm..very informative!

Sinner February 07, 2012 12:26 pm  

Hi Shereen,
In a normal situation, I too wouldn't buy these sad looking sticks haha, but I was really desperate. But not all is lost, got 12 shoots so far. Finger crossed more will pop up in time !!

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP